Milpitas area residents ask about facial mole removal
While moles are very common and the majority of them are benign, facial moles can be very disconcerting for patients. The lesions can be pink or brown in color and flat or raised in appearance. When seeking the removal of facial moles, it is important to choose a skilled doctor with experience to minimize the potential for scarring.
It is important to know a little bit about the different types of moles. They include:
- Congenital Moles: These are the moles that are on the skin at birth or those that develop in early years of childhood. Most congenital moles are benign, but they will continue to grow with age.
- Intradermal Moles: These are typically raised pink lesions and they can appear anywhere on the body. Most Intradermal moles are also benign.
- Dysplastic Moles: These are usually larger moles and can vary in color, size, and shape. Dysplastic moles are at the highest risk for becoming cancerous and must be monitored through routine at-home and professional skin checks. To monitor moles properly at home, patients can follow the ABCDEs of Melanoma, which includes checking for asymmetry, borders, color, diameter, and the evolution of the mole.
The cosmetic removal of bothersome facial moles is typically done one of two ways: shaving, or excision. With the shaving procedure, a razor is used to "shave" off the mole from the face. This method of removal may leave a small trace of pigmentation but typically has a nearly unidentifiable scar. Larger moles may require surgical extraction.
During your consultation for mole removal, we will first examine the area to gather information about the mole including size, location, color, and presentation. This allows us to determine if the mole is benign or requires a biopsy. From there, we will be able to make a recommendation for the best method of removal.
At the Center for Dermatology, we offer patients in the areas of Fremont and Milpitas, a variety of medical and cosmetic dermatology services. Whether you need help with removal of a facial mole, or need treatment for other skin conditions, we're here to help. Call us today to schedule an appointment.
Back to Cosmetic Mole Removal Home Page
- Cosmetic Mole Removal Fremont - Cosmetic mole removal services available for Fremont area patients
- Facial Mole Removal Milpitas - Milpitas area residents ask about facial mole removal